- Full-time position
- Fixed Term contract for 3 – 5 years
- Located at Melbourne (Bundoora) campus with blended virtual / working from home option
- Salary range pending experience of between $160-$180k per annum (inclusive of 17% super)
About La Trobe
La Trobe University’s success is driven by people who are committed to making a difference. They are creative and highly motivated, pursue new ideas and create knowledge. La Trobe is one of Australia’s research leaders, and the largest provider of higher education to regional Victoria. Our teaching and research address some of the most significant issues of our time and we’re passionate about driving change through operational excellence to benefit the communities we serve.
The Service Business Development unit provides contractual oversight across a suite of third-party providers, with the primary pursuit of driving service quality, and strategic revenue growth. Portfolios include accommodation, university wide catering, external conferencing and other related business operations for La Trobe.
About the position
The primary purpose of this newly created position is to:
- Adopt a planned and considered strategic management approach in advising on the vision of on-campus accommodation, catering, conferencing and related third party commercial partnerships to help inform the business strategy for the University. Translate this into a sustainable strategic revenue portfolio.
- Apply creativity and experience to assess complex information with specialist knowledge, identifying critical factors and issues. Identify and implement solutions complementary to the University’s strategic objectives.
- Respond flexibly to changing circumstances, identifying optimum approaches including resource allocation and cross-functional ways of working. Foster a flexible and supportive environment to enable others to meet changing demands.
- Work closely and collaboratively with parallel functions and stakeholders across the University to support common objectives. Ensure Service Business Development delivers complementary commercial and service outcomes that enhance the student, staff and external customer experience.
Skills and Experience
This role requires a blend of multiple internal stakeholder management skills, commercial business development and third party service provider management, therefore a blend of the following key skills are sought.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in the oversight of significant human and material resources, or experience and expertise in the provision of policy advice affecting the direction of the University.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a diverse stakeholder set across a complex organisation.
- Build and sustain relationships with a network of key people internally and externally. Recognise shared agendas and works toward mutually beneficial outcomes. Anticipate and respond to internal and external client needs.
- Experience managing complex, high value strategic supplier relationships.
- Service business development experience with tangible commercial and operational results.
- Exemplary leadership and ability to communicate vision and strategic direction, to support a culture of performance and accountability.
- Demonstrated ability to work with complexity and ambiguity, showing tenacity and resilience in striving for goals and in seeking creative, innovative and sustainable long-term solutions to support the University’s Strategic Plan.
- Specialist expertise derived from a senior level student accommodation and / or contract management role would be advantageous.
Please refer to the Position Description for other duties, skills and experience required for this position.
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Victorian Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
Please click on this link for a full list of Benefits
How to apply
Closing date: By 11:55pm Tuesday 9th November 2021
Position Enquiries: Andrew Peacock – Director Strategic Procurement and Business Services, Email: A.Peacock@latrobe.edu.au
HR/Recruitment Enquiries; Email: email@example.com
Position Description below:
PD - ESMC1 - Associate Director, Service Business Development.pdf
Only candidates with full working rights in Australia may apply for this position.
Please submit an online application ONLY and include the following documents:
- Cover letter;
- An up to date resume; and
- A separate document addressing each essential and desirable bullet point in the Key Selection Criteria which is located in the position description.
Please scroll down to apply.
La Trobe Cultural Qualities:
We are Accountable, We are Connected, We are Innovative, We Care
La Trobe University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive and respectful working environment for all staff. We offer flexible work arrangements that can assist you in balancing your work and other responsibilities.
La Trobe is proud to be a member of the Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) Athena SWAN program to advance gender equality in academia.