- Full time, Continuing position
- Located at Melbourne (Bundoora) – flexible working conditions
- Total Remuneration up to $146K (inclusive of super) – based on experience
About the position
Over the last 10 years, the payroll industry has seen an increased focus on building compliant and high quality payroll processes to reduce and eliminate payroll inaccuracies and ensure employees are accurately paid for the hours they work. This position has been specifically created to build a high functioning payroll team that will deliver accurate pays to university staff in line with government legislative requirements and our collective agreement.
The role will manage, develop and lead a medium sized payroll team of 15 (with 6 direct reports) that continues to focus on improving the quality of the payroll end-to-end lifecycle and looking for opportunities to automate payroll processes to remove the need for high levels of manual work in our business.
The role is responsible for building compliance and quality mechanisms into the payroll end-to-end lifecycle and to assist the university in preventing errors that could lead to payment issues.
The Senior Manager, Payroll and Compliance will focus on their passion for a high quality payroll to build a strong and capable team and focus on strong relationships with our schools and professional teams.
Skills and Experience
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in the management of significant human and material resources, or postgraduate qualifications and extensive relevant experience.
- 5+ years of payroll management experience with demonstrable knowledge of leading and developing a high functioning and busy payroll team
- Demonstrable knowledge of payroll management practices as they relate to building payroll accuracy
- The ability to demonstrate your leadership skills including the ability to problem solve, negotiate, motivate, influence and build relationships with proven experience and success in managing staff performance and development.
- A leader in your field in payroll compliance understanding how to read and define enterprise agreements, payroll tax and relevant government legislation and apply to a working payroll cycle
- Solid knowledge of EOFY processing, Single Touch Payroll, taxation and superannuation requirements with the ability to demonstrate embedding quality checking mechanisms into a payroll function.
- Familiarity with Service Level Agreements and customer satisfaction principles in relation to response and resolution process in a payroll function
- Hands on experience in checking difficult payroll reconciliations
- Knowledge of payroll tax, workers compensation and superannuation processes (Defined Benefit superannuation experience would be beneficial to this position)
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated experience in liaising with staff at all levels of an organisation, negotiating effective outcomes, consultation and facilitation of group discussions.
For further details about the position, please refer to the Position Description in the link below.
Senior Manager, Payroll & Compliance - PD.pdf
- Supportive and progressive HR Leadership team
- Leadership coaching and development opportunities
- 17% employer contributed superannuation
- On site parking
- On site child care facilities
- On site gym membership
- Novated car and e-bike leasing
- Flexible work arrangements
- Discounts for staff and their family members to study a range of La Trobe courses
How to apply
Closing date: Friday, 22 July 2022 by 11.55pm
Position Enquiries: Jeff Gleeson – Director, HR Services, Jeffrey.email@example.com
Recruitment Enquiries: Deborah Dare – Senior Recruitment Business Partner, firstname.lastname@example.org
Only candidates with Full Working Rights in Australia may apply for this position.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements
The University’s Health and Safety Procedure – COVID-19 Vaccination and Other Measures, requires staff engaged to perform work onsite at La Trobe University to be Fully Vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they are exempt from being vaccinated due to a recognised medical contraindication. This position will require the incumbent to work onsite. As such, an offer of employment will be conditional upon the applicant being Fully Vaccinated against COVID-19 or medically exempt from receiving a COVID-19 vaccination, and providing satisfactory evidence of their vaccination or exemption status to the University.
Please submit an online application ONLY and include the following documents:
- Cover letter highlighting your key achievements and suitability for this position; and
Why La Trobe University?
- Develop your career at an innovative, global university where you’ll collaborate with community and industry to create impact.
- Enjoy working on our inspiring and stunning campuses – the perfect hub for industry, students and academics
- Help transform the lives of students, partners and communities now and in the future
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Victorian Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
Please click on the APPLY NOW button where you will be re-directed to PageUp to log-in and complete an Application Form. Please follow the instructions provided in relation to any documents that may be required as part of your application.