- Full time
- Fixed term research position for 18 months from commencement
- Located at our La Trobe, Melbourne (Bundoora) campus
- [Level B] - $115,256- $136,108 per annum inclusive of 17% superannuation
About the position
The position will be responsible for undertaking research to integrate remote sensed data products with empirical ecological data. The research involves combining modelling and empirical approaches to improve prediction and mapping of natural capital assets on farms.
The successful applicant will bring their advanced data handling and modelling expertise to explore relationships between remote sensed data products and on-ground ecological data. Working closely with the ecologists on the Project, the position will contribute critical expertise to translating remote sensed data and digital imagery to extract ecological meaning. The position will also contribute to developing and validating indices of biodiversity and natural capital, drawing on their knowledge of environmental processes and assessments.
Skills and Experience
To be considered for this position, you will have.
- Completion of a PhD or equivalent qualifications or research experience.
- Advanced expertise in statistical modelling, including experience with Machine Learning and Bayesian approaches, including the use of R and Python.
- Evidence of strong data science skills, with experience in using and interpreting remote sensed data products.
- Proven ability to handle, integrate, analyse, model and interpret both on-ground and remotely sensed environmental data.
- Expertise in interpretation and analysis of complex data for presentation to industry and the science community.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and monitor workflows within own area of responsibility.
- Proven communication and interpersonal skills and a record of publications, conference papers and/or reports, or professional or technical contributions to peer reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a team in a cooperative and collegial manner.
- Demonstrated high level of self-motivation and personal management skills.
Please refer to the Position Description for other duties, skills and experience required for this position.
PD- Level B - Research Fellow.pdf
About La Trobe
La Trobe University’s success is driven by people who are committed to making a difference. They are creative and highly motivated, pursue new ideas and create knowledge. La Trobe is one of Australia’s research leaders, and the largest provider of higher education to regional Victoria. Our teaching and research address some of the most significant issues of our time and we’re passionate about driving change through operational excellence to benefit the communities we serve.
Welcome to Bundoora campus – Please click on the video link below:
- 17% employer contributed superannuation
- On site child care facilities
- flexible work arrangements
- discounts for staff and their family members to study a range of La Trobe courses
How to apply
Closing date: 11pm Sunday 3rd July 2022
Position Enquiries: Jim Radford, J.Radford@latrobe.edu.au
Recruitment Enquiries: Recruitment@latrobe.edu.au
Position Description below:
PD- Level B - Research Fellow.pdf
Only candidates with Full Working Rights in Australia may apply for this position.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements
The University’s Health and Safety Procedure – COVID-19 Vaccination and Other Measures, requires staff engaged to perform work onsite at La Trobe University to be Fully Vaccinated against COVID-19 unless they are exempt from being vaccinated due to a recognised medical contraindication. This position will require the incumbent to work onsite. As such, an offer of employment will be conditional upon the applicant being Fully Vaccinated against COVID-19 or medically exempt from receiving a COVID-19 vaccination, and providing satisfactory evidence of their vaccination or exemption status to the University.
Please submit an online application ONLY and include the following documents:
- Cover letter;
- A separate document addressing “Skills and Experience” bullet points in the Key Selection Criteria which is located in the position description; and
- An up to date resume.
Please scroll down to apply.
Why La Trobe:
- Develop your career at an innovative, global university where you’ll collaborate with community and industry to create impact.
- Enjoy working on our inspiring and stunning campuses – the perfect hub for industry, students and academics
- Help transform the lives of students, partners and communities now and in future
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Victorian Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.